标题: 《Surfaces 》作者: - Richard Chwedyk 【EPUB】 [打印本页]

作者: zaq    时间: 2013-9-27 07:44
标题: 《Surfaces 》作者: - Richard Chwedyk 【EPUB】
Surfaces by Richard Chwedyk This story copyright 1994 by Richard Chwedyk. This copy was created for Jean Hardy's personal use. All other rights are reserved. Thank you for honoring the copyright. Published by Seattle Book Company, www.seattlebook.com. * * * I often ask my students what Oscar Wilde meant when he wrote that "All art is at once surface and symbol." Occasionally I get an answer like, "It means it can't just look like art, Miss Ulaszek," but mostly the question is met by a roomful of uncomprehending faces. I can't expect much more at a time when the better part of being an artist is dressing for the role. So it appears. And so it appeared one evening some years ago as I stood in yet another River North gallery, at yet another opening. staring at another painting that couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Monica, my sister, brought me here, ostensibly to get my opinions on the current work. Usually she took me to gallery openings and loft parties to introduce me to some man. These hitch-ups were always disastrous, but I kept going to see how long the string of flops continued. "And this?" Monica came up from behind and handed me a vodka and ice. It must have taken some doing in the white wine ghetto, but it was the least she could do for me. We stood before a large canvas, worked heavily with casein or turpentine to affect a hazy, diffuse background. In the right

欢迎光临 (http://admin.zasq.com/~zazww/) Powered by Discuz! X3.2